Sports Medicine/Shoulder pain

Question
I fell ice skating and started having a burning pain in my right shoulder. I went and got a 1 hour massage
And it felt good for a short while but came right back. I have since been seeing a chiropractor and again it feels good for about an hour and then it is back, he says I tore a muscle. Some days it is swollen, and others its not but it hurts everyday and its going on five weeks! I am just asking is this normal and how long does the pain last?

Answer
Dear Sheila,

I'm sorry to hear you hurt your shoulder. I wonder if you are having any weakness or limitation in range of motion. If so, you may have torn your rotator cuff. Burning pain can be due to nerve irritation.

It's hard to know how long the pain will last without knowing for certain what is going on. If the pain had persisted for more than a few weeks, I would recommend you obtain an MRI to get some facts.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Kind regards,
Hope

Sports Medicine

Hope T. Horton, RN, BSN