Sports Medicine/Shin splints

Question
Hello!
I am a dancer, and I've been experiencing a really painful case of shin splints. I began dance this year, and have been excelling at it, and I have also had an entire lifetime of skiing, softball, and golf. The pain I am experiencing is along the insides of my shins, running from me ankle to about a third of the way up to my knee. It occurred last week, and has been getting steadily worse throughout this week, as our hours have greatly increased due to upcoming performances. It is extremely painful for me to dance, as I am up on the balls of my feet, and transferring my weight a lot during my dances. Today, it got to the point where it was even painful to go up or down stairs, and at times to walk. Laying down, they throb and exude a dull, faint pain. The best thing, I've read, is rest, but we have performances for the next two weeks, and if I miss a day I will be cut from the dance that I have been preparing for for the past 6 months. I need your help very much. Does this sound like an extreme case of shin splints? what are possible consequences of my continued dance for the next two weeks, anything permanent? Is there anything I can do to alleviate the pain? Would kinesio tape help? Thank you so incredibly much, I appreciate your time and response incredibly much. I really value your time, and I am extremely grateful for your help in this! Thank you!

Answer
Dear Kaitlin,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
For your shin splints.....Sounds like you really irritated your anterior tibial muscles.
Try PRICE
Protect-Keep the practice to a minimum.Try moving in a different way that does not strain the muscle as much.
Rest-Speaks for itself-try to take 2 days off and ice aggressively
Ice-as much as possible-45 minutes on, 15 minutes off-several times a day-more if it's hurting.
Compress-A self stick Ace type wrap of the lower leg would be appropriate.
Elevate-At end of day and in bed.
Try heel lifts. The kinesio-tape works like a long lasting thin ace wrap-would work similar to an Ace wrap.
That said...... if the shin splint pain progresses you should stop to avoid possible compartment syndrome-which can be very serious.
Remember-you are continuing to injure a muscle(and the periosteum- where the muscle tears from the tibial bone and causes the pain) & this muscle will need time to recover & you may add more time to the recovery.  Be Careful!

Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Sports Medicine

Dr George Tsatsos