Sports Medicine/tingling and numbness in my left leg

I had been working out for about 9 weeks when I started to have a tingling in my left leg on the outer side. I thought it was because I always cross my right let on top of the left. So I have tried to stop and the tingling has gotten worse now with numbness. When I stand or stop moving for a bit is when I start to fee the tingling. At night I am not able to sleep very well because of the sensation. I do not have lower back pains, but I do have some in the center of my back. I think this started a few weeks after the leg sensation started if I remember correctly. I don't have any loss of movement or strength. I can do everything that I was doing before, I have only stopped because I thought it might be from working out so I do not do leg exercises. Now after about a month it is not getting better. I walk every day for hours and stand a lot. So I am not sure if this is keeping it irritated. When the tingling starts if I move my leg it helps it go go away. Thank you for any help that you can offer. This is an awesome site. Thank you for your time.

Hi Mitchell, sounds like you might be dealing with sciatica or nerve irritation. Symptoms like tingling & numbness are suspicious. You need a diagnosis of the problem- chiropractor, orthopaedist, or physical therapist are good choices. You probably aggravated nerve with workout related activities so backing off makes sense until you get problem identified. The sciatic nerve runs from back area & through buttocks down into legs. Get the diagnosis & treatment options for best chance for safe return to your workouts. Good luck.. Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.