Sports Medicine/steroid injection swelling/infection

I'm hoping you can help me. I know this isn't exactly what you do, but all the other Doctors are on vacation and this can't wait. I had a steroid injection in my hip yesterday, for bursitis. It was given about 10 AM. By bedtime, 10pm, I could barely walk. I had a Vicodin tablet left from a recent surgery and took that to ease the pain so I could sleep. I called the Dr office and he was not in. The PA told me to use ice on the injection site. If I stay off my feet the pain is not too bad. The more I move, the more it hurts. The site is also quite swollen. What are the signs of infection I should watch for? Thank you.

Hi Victoria- unfortunately, u have reaction to the cortisone inj.
1. This happens, & you're doing the right things-ice, pain med & stay off it. Probably 600 mg ibuprophen every 6-8 hrs should be helpful next day or 2.
2. We would expect over the next few days to get a lot better fast.
3. Too soon for any concern with infection - this is reaction to injection most likely- next wk, u might be marveling at how well you're doing.
4. IF HOWEVER, you don't feel well, pain is not controlled, you run a fever-- THEN GO ER. (Rare).
Follow up with your DR- RELAX- Good luck,..Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.