Sports Medicine/back injury

About 2 1/2 years ago I fractured a rib at the T6 level and the fracture healed about 3 months after I broke it.  The problem is that I have had really bad back pain since then and no one seemed to know why I was experiencing back pain if my rib had already healed.  I was diagnosed with chronic back pain of an unknown etiology.

I was recently referred to an arthiritis specialist to check and see if I had some kind of arthiritis.  All the test came back normal, but the doctor reviewed my x-rays with me and noticed that the rib that I had fractured had actually healed abnormally.  To verify the doctor viewed my x-rays from different angles and confirmed that my rib had actually healed abrnormal and was actually curved where the fracture occured.  The curve was about a quarter centimeter away from my spine.  The doctor told me that their was nothing I could do to fix the problem and that I had to deal with the pain.

Is their anything that I can do at this point?  surgery or something?  This pain really limits me on what I can and can't do.  It hurts me extremely bad to even to weed eating around the yard!  I need help!

Hi Mark- sounds iffy whether the healed fractured rid has anything to do with your back pain. Might want to get both chiropractic & osteopathic opinions whether treatment, adjustment, manipulation techniques would be helpful. Possible MRI or other tests to help evaluate. Acupuncture might also be helpful.
That's a question- is healed rib causing local inflammation?  You need further evaluation- ck these other resources for their opinion & get MRI.  Hope this helps, good luck, Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.