Sports Medicine/Karate stance, Tension in right foot.

Hi. I've been learning a new karate stance in class, one which involves setting the feet pigeon-toed and bending the knees inward.
I've uploaded a image of the stance(The person pictured is not me). So, while and after the performing the stance a feel a degree of tightness/tension In what I think is my right foot's plantar fascia. The sensation is on the bottom of my foot and runs from where the ball begins back to just in front of the heel.
The tension is non-painful, but doesn't feel quite like a stretching feeling. What I'm wondering is if I can safety continue to practice the stance or whether I should ease up, and if so what things I can do to work up to practicing it properly.

Hi Dan- agree, this sounds like plantar fascial strain, probably associated with the foot position. Back off with this position for couple wks. Do some calf & arch stretching, & see how it responds. If arch & heel is bothersome with regular activities, then see podiatrist & get specific diagnosis. If, however, it's fine except for this specific posture or stance, back off & go back gradually. Proper taping of the arch or slip on supports are helpful with "barefoot sports like martial arts, gymnastics, barefoot dance etc. when plantar fascitis, which is all too common, often orthotics in shoes the rest of the time, is helpful. Short term over the counter anti inflammatory meds for 7-10 days, ice all helpful if looking to treat it- physical therapy also.. Hope this helps.. Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.