Sports Medicine/vastus lateralis numbness

I have had a pain in my right knee, right across the patella, for quite some time now. it seems to be coming from the trigger point in VMO, whenever I work on that it seems to lessen the pain. However, over the last 10 days or so i have noticed a numbness in vastus lateralis. it basically starts from my knee and goes up the majority of the thigh. bordering the IT band, and vastus medialis. i don't recall any moment that created the knee pain, it just seemed to come on one day. i participate in crossfit, and over the last 4 months or so have started a higher volume and frequency on my Olympic lifts(going from every so often, to once or twice per week) i feel that this is what has brought all this on. i guess im wanting some guidance on what can help stop/prevent in the future, and if i should seek further professional advice.

Hi Rohan- Crossfit games is "superstar stuff". For "all of the above" both for long term prevention & enhanced performance -- LOOK AT Prescription foot ORTHOTICS! Optimum foot alignment, is crucial as you push knees, ( squats, explosive jumping, speed, ETC. of course, you need DIAGNOSIS, regarding what's going on with you knee, legs. Orthopaedist, sports therapist etc.
Especially females, often knee & lower extremity tendonitis, ITB stuff, etc IF PERSISTENT is foot related.
Again, Crossfit games are big time, so get a specific diagnosis. Great success with orthotics re "long term ".
Good luck-- Dr. Bob Weiil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.