Sports Medicine/Lactic acid and lactose causing pain in my back

Question
Dear Dr. Arthur,  I have had sinus and allergy problems a good share of my life and about six years ago I drove in a blinding snow storm for a couple of hours tensed in the shoulders.  The next day I couldn't get out of bed because my shoulders and upper back hurt so bad.  Also simultaneously my sinus got real bad.  I get knots in my upper back, shoulders, and neck so I see a masseuse at least twice a month to work out knots that I was told is lactic acid.  A few days ago it dawned on me to try and cut the dairy products out of my diet to see if my sinuses clear more.  Though it's too early to tell I think I am on the right path.  I also began blending a few weeks back using raw baby spinach leaves and organic kale as my base in my drinks.  I drink two daily.  Is there anything more I can do?  Thank you.  Roy

Answer
Hello  Roy,

If you had spent a couple hours gripping that steering wheel, I would assume you would be stiff the  next day.  Lactic Acid is the release of chemical build-up in the muscles of the body.  When worked hard..........as you apparently fought with the steering wheel, it could possibly have caused the extreme stiffness in the neck, back and shoulders.  Probably one of the best things you could do would be to find a GOOD chiropractor who would be able to examine the area, and then do what is appropriate for the problem.  Usually this can be done in 1 or two visits. If they want to set you up for multiple visits called "check-ups", just say no, or move out of there to another chiropractor who doesn't do this marketing dance!

The lactose Intolerance has you baffled a bit, but there is an easy suggestion to get rid of your misery in one day:
SOY  MILK!  The best kind I have found is called Soy Vanilla Chi Tea.  It is wonderful in coffee, on cereals,  in cooking, and almost anything else you formally mixed with milk.  You will find the bottle in most grocery stores by the fresh vegetable area.

Good luck to you, and I believe you will prosper with the Soy Milk!

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST