Sports Medicine/Chronic pain

Question
Dear Dr. Patricia B. Arthur,

I have been suffering from chronic pain since 2008. I don't know what brought it on, I just remember waking up one morning and was in severe pain (there was no big event like an accident or anything). Every morning (and throughout the night) I wake up with pain in my lower (floating) ribs on my left side. The pain is worst when I breathe. I feel it in my back, around the lower two ribs. I have to massage my back just under the ribs to make the pain subside enough for me to be able to breathe. I also feel a clicking sometimes when I cough or laugh. It affects my every day activities and I am unable to do a lot of things (e.g. dancing, sports etc) due to the pain.

I have had x-rays, ultrasounds, and bone scans which have all shown nothing. I have been to a chiropractor, physiotherapist, osteo, had deep tissue massage, dry needling, acupuncture, steroid injections, and even a spinal block injection to stop the pain (which only lasted for one day).

I sit, stand, and lie down in certain ways to try avoid the pain and it is having an effect on the rest of my body. I am now noticing a new set of issues, such as back pain, neck pain, headaches, etc which I think are related to my posture.

No doctor has been able to tell me what the issue is or make any difference to the pain (it is still the same as it was in 2008).

Answer
Hello Claire!

Actually, after reading your letter, I can't believe any physician has overlooked Fibromyalgia!  It seems you have a classic case of this malady, and the medical journals have written extensively about the diagnosis of this entity.

There are certain diagnostic studies that can be performed to delineate this problem, and to make a positive impact on the life of the patients.  Please look for a physician in your area that specializes in Fibromyalgia, or you might want to see a Neurologist who has some experience with Fibromyalgia .  I'm sorry you have been through so much in 6 years, but if you are able to find a qualified specialist, you will start to feel much better, finally.

Please let me know what you are doing, and how you are feeling.  I really am sad that this has taken so long, and I want you to know I care what happens.

Sincerely,

Dr Patricia Arthur

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST