Sports Medicine/Education for a Career in Sports Medicine

Question
Hi Dr. Weil,

I'm 26 and would like to go back to school for a nursing career in sports medicine. I was curious as to the path I would need to take to get there. I know this question would be more suited for Hope as it is more in regards to the education for RN/NPs; however, Hope is on vacation. Would you happen to know if an RN degree in Orthopaedics or NP degree would be better suited for a career within the field? Or should I aim to acquire both; first RN then NP? Would I be able to work within the field as an RN? (I know that Hope is currently doing so but I know certification and licensure rules change and sometimes require additional education. For instance, OT used to be a BS degree). Any help you can provide will be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Sarah

Answer
Hi Sarah- you're right, these organizations you mentioned will give you "credentialing info". You also might be looking at physical therapy as good route to sports medicine. Most PT groups are very involved in sports medicine & it's hands on. Speaking to some RNs who are directly involved with local sports Ortho groups could give you insight re their experiences. Athletic training is another great area as is sports massage & kinesiology.  Point being- talk to some people in these fields-- most have more sports med action than nursing.. Hope this helps, Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil