Sports Medicine/Knee Pain

Question
Hi I was at work today and I started to kneel down on one knee to put something on a lower shelf and midway to actually kneeling I got a sharp shooting pain in my knee kind of on the top if that makes any sense. It was very unexpected. I hadn't had any pain before that day. I had a hard time getting back up and then for the rest of the evening at work I had random moments when my knee started giving out on me when I was just standing. When I got home this evening it was a bit swollen and it is quite sore when I try to bend it. Any idea what I might have done? Thanks.

Answer
Hi Faith- sounds like you might have strained some cartilage or tendon in the knee. Best bet is to see orthopaedist so you can get specific diagnosis. Until then if no history of stomach or ulcer problems, take 2 ibuprophen after meals 3xday for next 5-7 days, use ice 15min 2xday & see how it responds. Feeling unstable is not good so try to be cautious with work or activities until you get knee evaluated. Hope this helpful.. Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil