Sports Medicine/Ultrasound Question

Question
I have had two major shoulder surgeries. One surgery was for a detached Rhomboid muscle and detached low Trapezeis muscle. The second surgery was for the same trap muscle that fell down again. The orthropedic surgeon told me it wont show up on a mri, a detached rhomboid muscle or low trap muscle. Also, I ask him if it could be showed on a ultrasound of the Rhomboid and Trap Muscle. He brushed off this questions. I have read much information from ultrasound that it is good at seeing torn muscles. I cant get a straight answer.I am in unbearable pain.  The question I have is if a Ultrasound will show a torn Rhomboid Muscle, and a torn lower Trapezius muscle, or any sign of these two muscle not in the correct place.   Thanks, Todd.

Answer
Hello Todd!

One big question I have at this point is why you have not consulted another orthopedic surgeon who would be compassionate enough to tell you the truth?  Yes, ultrasound may diagnose myofascial pain from the muscles, and possibly those muscles which have been surgically compromised.  It could be the doctor was not aware of what ultrasound could be used for, or he could be intentionally quiet on the subject because he could have botched the surgery.

With the severe pain you seem to be experiencing, I would not wait one minute more in getting another opinion from a recognized Orthopedic Surgeon.  If there was more you could do, I would not hesitate to mention it, but you certainly are in a place where you desperately need to find another doctor, or possibly a Neurosurgeon............no appointments with anyone in the same office nor in the same hospital, if you can help it.

Please let me know what the outcome is, and what will happen with you.  I am truly worried about this situation, and cannot make these suggestions any faster than I can write.

Take care, and I hope you are successful in finding a specialist that will listen to you!

Sincerely,

Dr. Patricia Arthur

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST