Sports Medicine/Sprain

Question
QUESTION: I had ankle pains for a couple weeks before deciding it might be something more severe that might not go away on its  own. My doctor specializes in sports medicine but this particular appt. was with a PA who determined that since there was no bruising and it mostly hurts when I turn my foot inward that it was likely a sprain and an xray wasn't necessary. She  prescribed an ankle brace (none specifically) and 500mg of Naproxen. Also suggested I raise my leg above my heart level for a couple hours each day which seems tedious. I was not aware of having had a accident but she suggested maybe I had bad footing on the edge of a curb and over stretched. I know doctors hate to predict recoveries but generally speaking how long to sprains last assuming I finish the meds and wear the brace most of each day and skip the elevation thing and icing it? I'd like to have an idea of when I should make a new appointment if it doesn't really start to improve. Also how major a factor is the Naproxen in healing it? I found it can make me really dizzy when driving unless that was something else I ate.

ANSWER: Dear James,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Ukranian Village 60622, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...

For your foot sprain. If it doesn't feel better everyday & improved within a week or so, or get's worse, go see a Board Certified Podiatrist. The PA is guessing & does not have the expertise to diagnose these conditions. The PA is also incorect that an x-ray may not be necessary. If there is pain, you need to determine the cause. Sounds like that was not done. Naproxen is an non steroidal anti-inflammatory. Do not take if it makes you dizzy & call your doc for another NSAID.
Hope this helps & Good Luck!

The Chicago Podiatrists of http://anklenfoot.com/ are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago, Elmhurst & Bartlett

Dr George Tsatsos, Svetlana Zats, Dr Mariano Rivera, Dr Massard & Dr Kurtz
Chicago 60618 & 60622, Elmhurst 60126, Bartlett 60103 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further

QUESTION: Well she said since there was no bruising and because I can easily support my weight on my foot that an xray was not entirely necessary. What is a sprain exactly? An overstretch? If so, do I keep it as stationary as possible or should I try writing the alphabet with my toes like she suggested? Honestly I am a pessimist and don't know if I can properly detect subtle improvements. I had Calcific Tendinitis in my shoulder and with  PT and later a shot it pretty much felt much better but took a long time. All I know is the brace makes my foot feel less pain. Assuming it is just a mild sprain and I did little more than walking carefully and avoiding bending it in any odds ways what is the typical recovery time?

Answer
Dear James,

You didn't read my response. I'm sure the PA was nice, but still, the PA is not qualified to diagnose your foot problem. It it continues to bother into week three or get's worse-go see a qualified Board Certified Podiatrist. The determination of an x-ray is also done by a qualified professional.
For your foot sprain. If it doesn't feel better everyday & improved within a week or so, or get's worse, go see a Board Certified Podiatrist. The PA is guessing & does not have the expertise to diagnose these conditions. The PA is also in incorrect that an x-ray may not be necessary. If there is pain, you need to determine the cause. Sounds like that was not done. Naproxen is an non steroidal anti-inflammatory. Do not take if it makes you dizzy & call your doc for another NSAID.
Hope this helps & Good Luck!

New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:

Sports Medicine

Dr George Tsatsos