Sports Medicine/Muscle Tear?

Question
Dear Dr. Arthur,

Do forgive me if I'm being too descriptive but I feel it is necessary for this kind of consultation.

I have done strenuous workouts during several periods throughout my life. Recently I have gained quite a lot of weight (~20k), and have never been this unfit in my entire life. I have started exercising again since two days ago, pushing myself to my limits.

While my whole body hurts quite badly with familiar exercise related severe muscle pains that i have always been able to tolerate, one region is on a whole different level.

-They're my right deltoids but this is not specific enough. The area is the muscle surrounding the joint that connects the arm to the torso.
-This area hurts quite severely, even when it is at rest (when i'm lying down motionless). This is not true for any other region.
-There is also slight but tolerable pain in the right shoulder region closer to the neck while at rest.
-There is no visible redness or bruising.
-Ice packs and 2x panadol extras have only had the slightest of difference.
-Though I am right handed, I have resorted to using my left hand only due to the pain.
-When I walk, i do so with the right arm as limp as is humanly possible, and with my shoulders tilted so that the right arm hangs lower and slightly off the socket.
-I feel that it cannot be joint related.

Given my description, and my lack of experience with what I believe to be my first muscle tear, how should i proceed? Is this severe enough to warrant consulting a doctor for further examination? or are there other things i should try before doing so?

Thank you for your time and guidance,
Sharon

Answer
Hello Sharon!

Oh, my goodness, you say you started bulk training at the same level you ended with prior to your weight gain?  I believe you are very lucky not  to have considerable more damage in your body!. Now, let's go over the anatomy of the shoulder. The bones attaching to the shoulder are:  clavicle, humerus, and scapula bones, articular capsule ligament, teres minor tendon, plus 11 additional ligaments and tendons, not including all the muscles.  From what you describe, there probably are no fractures in or around the shoulder, but it does not eliminate a hairline fracture/dislocation of the clavicle (the bone from the shoulder to the neck).  A good possibility would be a

tear of the deltoid muscle which attaches to the scapula (the "wing" bone) in the back, all around to the front of the upper chest where the clavicle is located.  Additionally, the Rotator Cuff tendon surrounds the shoulder, and with undue stress, will tear  this tendon, which makes it very painful, and partially immobile.  There will be no major swelling nor obvious deformity, unless there is a dislocation of the shoulder.  

You stated there was no obvious swelling or deformity, so I suspect there is a major disruption of the soft tissues deep in  your shoulder.  Hence, I would strongly suggest an appointment with a good shoulder specialist for a possible MRI or CAT scan.  With injuries like this, there is bleeding inside, and around, the area which needs to be attended to immediately.

Thank you Sharon, for contacting me, and I hope you will drop me a line to let me know what is found.  I do not advise you to lift weights again until this is fixed and healed.  Please don't start with heavy weights, but use light weights, high reps, to gain back the stability you had earlier.  Also, remember, Pain is NO gain!!!

Good luck to you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Dr. Patricia Arthur

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST