Sports Medicine/pain on knee

Question
QUESTION: my bicycle was hit by a car and i was falling down and cause my knee injury . i am taking  http://www.vitabiotics.com/jointace/collagen/ is this suitable ? or can u advise what is the suitable for the knee hurts and pain ? pls advise

ANSWER: Good Morning Alexa!

There are several things I need to know before I can give you an accurate message concerning your knee.  If you can answer these questions, then I can hopefully make an appropriate attempt at diagnosing the cause of your pain.

1)  How old are you?

2)  Which knee was hurt, and where is the pain?

3)  How long ago was the accident?  Have you been to the doctor?

4)  Does the knee hurt all the time, or does it hurt only when you walk, bend it, sleep, or continue to hurt when you ride your bike?

If you can answer these questions for me, I would appreciate it. Additionally, taking the Joint vitamins with collagen will not hurt you, but I don't think they will cure your injury either.

Looking forward to your answers, and thank you for writing me.

Dr. Patricia Arthur

QUESTION: Dear Dr . Patricia

thanks for your mail .

sure ,
1) i am 40 ,

2) i got hurt on ligament at the beginning and now i got pain on my   joint after theraphy doctor and Orthopaedics doctor gave me wrong execrise practise on my knee  . the pain was on the left knee but now my right  joint got pain too.

3) the aacident was back to march 12, 2013 . i when to the Orthopaedics doctor on may 2013 when the hurts get more . i got artrodar and condropil from the doctors but it does not help much . the doctor said , he only got both artrodar and condropil for the treatment. i went for theraphy , sometimes help and sometimes no help. and i have stop for the theraphy since oct 2013. currently i am taking jointace collagen and zentril

4) sometimes the knee got pain all the times . when walking much , it get more pain . it is more pain when standing than waliking . i am not able to take my bike now since it is hurting . when walking to the stage , i have to put my left leg follow to the right leg instead of like regular walking pattern. i dont get hurt when i bend it at the beginning , however , now , when i bend it , i got pain after the wrong exercise practise was given by the doctors ( the doctor was given me a instruction of using my foot figure to stand and pull to exercise my knee ) and the theraphy doctor was asking me to bend my knee , this cause me become very hurt after doing such kind of practise.

do let me know any further info u needed in order to help me . thanks for you help Dr. Patricia

ANSWER: Hello Alexa!

Thank you for answering the questions I had asked you.  Looking at your age, and the way the pain is affecting your body, I would suggest you look for an American Doctor in an American hospital where you live.  Or at least find an American doctor in any hospital or clinic, and ask for a referral to a GOOD Orthopedic Surgeon.  Usually the American Doctors would be able to accurately diagnose the injury, and I believe you have torn several ligaments and tendons around the knee.  Probably surgery is the only way to re-attach the injured tissue, although it has been over a year since you hurt yourself.

The reason you have pain on the other side of your body is because you are walking differently due to the knee and leg pain, and the other side has to compensate for this imbalance.  Please try to find an American doctor, and ask him to tell you who is the best knee surgeon in your area.  Maybe it's not a good idea to see your local doctor just so you don't receive the incorrect Rehab exercise again.  Alexa, you do not need Physical Therapy, nor medication at this time.  It will not do anything to heal your injury.  You definitely need to have a good knee surgeon to fix the problem that has been there for too long!

Please let me know what is happening with your injury, and if you were able to find a good surgeon.  I'm worried about you, and if you don't get any help soon, it will only get worse.  I don't want it to get worse, so look hard to find the doctor that will do a good job.

Thank you for answering my questions, and good luck to you.

Dr. Patricia Arthur

QUESTION: Dr. Patricia Arthur,

thanks for your reply . do u have good doctor to refer to ?

pls advise

Answer
Hello Alexa!

Unfortunately, I live in the US, and I have no idea who the American doctors that practice where you live.  My suggestion is to travel to the biggest hospital in the city, and ask the Hospital receptionist for the names of the American doctors working in the hospital.  Ask her if they have a typed sheet with their names and specialties.  If you could use a computer, you could look up the names on the list to find what their background training is, and it should tell if they see patients outside the hospital.

I am so sorry I can't give you any names, but I would do the same thing here as I explained to you.  Another idea is find a friend who has a computer, and Google in "American doctors in (the name of your town or city)".  It just might show you numerous American physicians practicing there.

Good luck, Alexa, and don't give up!  Thank you for your note, and please let me know how that turns out.

Dr. Patricia Arthur

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST