Sports Medicine/Ankle pain

Question
Hi, I have pain in my right ankle for about two months now.  It first started with a sharp nerve pain in the center of the foot almost all the way to my knee as I jumped off the step bench during a fitness class.  It didn't have a lot of pain in the next few days, but a little swollen on the outside of my ankle.  I switched to zero impact exercise such as biking and elliptical, but the pain persists.  I went to the podiatrist to figure out what's wrong.  The x ray shows no bone fracture, however, he suggested that I have plantar fascia problem and anterior impingement.  I stop all exercises, but now I can barely stand for 5 mins.  I went back to get a MRI, the result shows that I have distal posterior tibia tendinosis with tenosynovitis and moderate effusion first metatarsophalangeal joint.  Any advice to keep pain away so that I can walk normally again?

Answer
Hi Tiffany- sounds like you need some treatment. The tendonosis at the attachment of the tendon into the arch area shows persistent wear & tear to the area- the fluid to the big toe joint possibly compensation from original problem. Your doc might recc you wear cast boot for few weeks to put area to rest while you initiate physical therapy to help heal & rehab area. Oral meds for inflammation might also help. With "intelligent rest", & therapy I would expect you to improve- Major key-- prescription orthotics are very helpful in controlling the forces that are aggravating areas- make sure your podiatrist helps you with this!
Rest- some immobilization ( boot best), Physical therapy - orthotics... Hope that helps, good luck.. Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil