Sports Medicine/Ankle pain

Hi, I have pain in my right ankle for about two months now.  It first started with a sharp nerve pain in the center of the foot almost all the way to my knee as I jumped off the step bench during a fitness class.  It didn't have a lot of pain in the next few days, but a little swollen on the outside of my ankle.  I switched to zero impact exercise such as biking and elliptical, but the pain persists.  I went to the podiatrist to figure out what's wrong.  The x ray shows no bone fracture, however, he suggested that I have plantar fascia problem and anterior impingement.  I stop all exercises, but now I can barely stand for 5 mins.  I went back to get a MRI, the result shows that I have distal posterior tibia tendinosis with tenosynovitis and moderate effusion first metatarsophalangeal joint.  Any advice to keep pain away so that I can walk normally again?

Hi Tiffany- sounds like you need some treatment. The tendonosis at the attachment of the tendon into the arch area shows persistent wear & tear to the area- the fluid to the big toe joint possibly compensation from original problem. Your doc might recc you wear cast boot for few weeks to put area to rest while you initiate physical therapy to help heal & rehab area. Oral meds for inflammation might also help. With "intelligent rest", & therapy I would expect you to improve- Major key-- prescription orthotics are very helpful in controlling the forces that are aggravating areas- make sure your podiatrist helps you with this!
Rest- some immobilization ( boot best), Physical therapy - orthotics... Hope that helps, good luck.. Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.