Sports Medicine/pain in lower abs

Question
ma'am,
i am 21year old man. i started weightlifting 2years ago.
i am suffering from pinching like pain in my right side of lower abdomen whenever i lift.
i thought it can be hernia but i saw no mark of bulge or bump appearing on my abdomen when i cough or i lift and when my doctor diagnosed me then he also told that it is not hernia. he couldnt tell me what was it he said it can be due to tearing of abs muscle.
and adviced me to take rest and use gym supporter everytym.
i used to wear gym supprter while lifting and after his advice i use it daily and i remove it at night. i took rest for nearly 1month but still pain hasnt subsided. yesterday i felt even more intensity pain when i was laughing(it was like needle is pricking inside my abs on right side of my navel).
is it case of navel displacement? what should i do?i tried massaging and hot compress over it for 1week. please help me sir as i want to start lifting as soon as i can.

Answer
Hello Rishabh!

Frankly, from the fine descriptive letter you wrote, if you haven't ever been shot in the area of the right naval, then you have what the doctor diagnosed.......torn abdominal muscle(s). This happens when you over-stretch with a quick jerk of the weights.  When you move, the torn part of the muscle affects the nerve that travels through the area, and a pinch feeling occurs.

A hernia does not have to bulge, and there are no "bumps" to feel. A hernia happens when soft tissue, such as the abdominal muscle tear, and some of the surrounding muscle tissue will push through the weaker part of that muscle.  That is a "hernia", and it can be so deep, no one can feel it from the outside.

Because nothing has really helped this feel better, I would strongly suggest you make an appointment, as soon as possible, with a surgeon.  If possible, you need to visit a well known hospital in your area, and ask the receptionist if there is an American-trained surgeon working at that hospital.  See if this surgeon will see you for a consult, and possible treatment.  You will need surgery to have the hole sewn up in the muscle before an organ, or muscle, becomes strangled in the opening.  This could turn into a major medical emergency if it is not taken care of very soon.

Thank you for writing, and I hope you will let me know what you have done to fix this problem.  I care, and worry, that you will not wait any longer to take care of this.

Sincerely,

Dr. Patricia Arthur  

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST