Sports Medicine/Pain after running

Question
Hello Dr. Arthur,

I have been running for almost a year now, and decided to challenge myself just over one week ago to a half marathon. Upon completion, I felt what I thought I would. My body was sore and tired. The day following, I noticed the outside of my left foot was tender. I think I was running on the outside of my feet towards the end, my fault. I favored it for the following days, also realizing it was swollen. I took ibuprofen and iced it, and it seemed to get better every day.

Six days after the race I woke up and my foot didn't hurt. It wasn't swollen, but my knee on the same leg was in pain. It gets worse as the day goes on, and is terrible if I go up or down stairs. What I noticed about it though is either my foot hurts, or my knee. One or the other. Could my favoring of my leg caused an knee issue, or is the feeling from my foot masking that of my knee. Should I be concerned about my knee if it's not always in pain? I'm not running currently, and it's a bit painful just to walk.

Thanks for your time.

Answer
Hello Jen!

Thanks for your note, and I will try to give you a simple explanation for your pain.  By the way, congratulations on your Half Marathon.  I'm sure that recreational running set you up for the endurance that race requires. As far as the left foot pain, it didn't have anything to do with the right foot.  What I realized might have happened was that as you approached the end of the run, you are tired, and your left foot might have stepped on an incline, a small stone, something that caused the foot to turn inwards.  This caused some tissue stretching, micro-tears, and in turn it swelled up.  Ice would have helped, and the swelling is caused by fluids and bleeding within the tissues.  Ibuprofen chemicals goes to the brain, and not the injury.  There was a time when everything felt pretty good until suddenly the left knee kicked in.

When a faulty step causes problems with the foot, it will transfer to the knee, and possibly to the hip.  What happened within those six days is unknown, but maybe while sleeping, moving into another position in your sleep might have been just the ticket to affect a weak area caused when the left foot was injured.
To check your knee for actual pain, I would suggest a 2" ace bandage wrapped around the knee in a figure "8", starting at the top of the knee, and wrapping it around the bottom to the top.  Do this maneuver for the entire roll....not too tight.......but snug.  If  you stand up, and it seems protective, then try a couple stairs. If it hurts as much as it did prior to wrapping it, then it's time to get an opinion from a good Orthopedic physician.  Your knee probably won't hurt if you don't put any weight on it.  But because you are experiencing pain, it needs to be looked at. Additionally, the left foot should be seen also.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you will let me know how you are doing.

Dr. Patricia Arthur

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST