Sports Medicine/Articles

Good Afternoon Ms. Arthur.
I am the League Director for Media and Marketing for the United Football Federation of America. I also created the first semi-pro football team magazine. This season I am redirecting a new look and getting more areas of semi-pro football within the magazine.
One of my goal is to have a dedicated section for Sports Medicine. From being on the sidelines I have seen my share of injuries. I would like to help the coaches and players understand more about safety and protection.
I would like to offer you a section in our magazine for you to write about subjects that can help those players and coaches.

Last season I did this on my own and it was a challenge to get what I did get done.

Please feel free to browse Issuu to check out my magazines as well as check out our website:

Please contact me if you would be interested. Thank you so much for your time.
Alice Mary Herden

Good Morning Ms. Herden!

What a very pleasant surprise to hear from you this gorgeous Sunday morning!  I must admit that football is my nemesis,  because I spent many years watching from the sidelines, and bench, only to be anguished by the brutality of football, and some of the players.  There were innumerable classes, gatherings, speeches, etc. that I offered the coaches, referees, and players on the safety issues of playing this sport.  It has gotten better, but now we are seeing the results of the damage done to players years ago with concussions.

After writing articles listing the damage of concussions, there were times when I had to face angry coaches, players, and believe it or not, senseless physicians who refused to believe that "little dings" on the head would cause death and destruction years down the road!

It would be my pleasure to write for you, and if you have certain guidelines you need me to use, ie:  fonts, spacing, length, etc., please let me know. By the way, I am also a Photojournalist and a Travel  Writer, so my experience in Sports Medicine has certainly set me up for things I love to do in my retirement!

Additionally,I am open to any payment to help with expenses, especially if you would like me to attend any of the games which might be playing close to where I will be staying.  I travel mostly in my Motorcoach, and it makes it so much easier to go where I choose to travel, and I also tow my car.

Thank you for your invitation, and I will look forward to your reply.

Best wishes,

Dr. Patricia Arthur
Mobile:    808-313-1434. (Private)
Email: (private)  

Sports Medicine

Dr. Patricia B. Arthur, DC, MRC, CST

As a 30-year practicing Chiropractic Physician, my specialty was Sports Medicine. For 8 years I had the distinct pleasure of working with the USOC, and traveled the world to care for the athletes in the Pre-Olympic venues for the Summer Games. When I wasn't traveling, I had a private practice, and a hospital practice, in Kamuela, Hawai'i. Questions I couldn't answer usually dealt with pharmeceuticals. This was not my expertise, but the simple questions pertaining to familiar drugs I was able to digress, or refer to someone that was knowledgable in that field. Most Sports Medicine field injuries were familiar to me, but I always aired on the side of caution. In my office practice, I would tend to see more patients with the weekend injuries who would try to self-treat, only making the injury worse than it should have been! Nevertheless, I never took anything for granted, and so it was my conservative approach to the "cause-and-effect" mechanisms that were vitally important to the healing process.

Following my competitive nature, I knew Sports Medicine would always be a part of my life. After graduation from Palmer University in Iowa, the old adage taught at the school dealt only with the spinal column......anything connected to the spine was outside our scope of practice. To me, this was too simplistic, because the complex body also had arms and legs! From this point, I developed specific technigues which would encorporate the body as a whole rather than haphazard segments. There is nothing traumatic that happens to a single ligament, tendon or joint that doesn't effect a secondary, or possibly a tertiary element in that area. In order for that space to heal, all the factors must be addressed. Volunteering my time teaching referrees, coaches, and interested parents about the realities of probable sports injuries was worth a thousand words!j

American Chiropractic Association; Local Emergency Response Committee; Hazardous Materials Response Team; Urban Search and Rescue Team - Operations and Planning; Federal Corps of Engineers Committee; Earthquake Advisory Board; Big Island Wildfire Committee

Papers published focusing on the importance of proper care of sports injuries; Authored medical columns for the syndicated magazine "The People's Doctor "; Published papers in professional journals on Head Injuries in Sports; Published papers on Drug Abuse in Sports.

Robert Packer Hospital - Certified Surgical Technician - CST; Palmer University - Doctor of Chiropractic - D.C.; Wright State University - Masters in Counseling/Psychology; Wright State University - Masters In Couseling of the Severely Disabled.

Selected US Olympic Physician -1988; Graduated Wright State University with a 3.75 GPA; Graduated Palmer University with a 3.5 GPA; Faculty Appointment - Palmer University Post Graduate Education; Faculty Appointment- Hawai'i/Kapiolani Community College - Skills Team Tester;

Cincinnati Bengals Football Team pre-season training; Summer Olympic Athletes worldwide; Kona Ironman Triathletes - Finish - line physician