Sports Medicine/IT Band Issues

Question
Hello,

For years now, I've struggled with IT Band issues. It usually hits me around mile 5/6 of my runs. I can feel it creeping up, and then all of a sudden, I can't go on. I've tried tape, braces, strength exercises, stretches...nothing seems to provide any lasting help.

This all started at a school festival. I had forgotten my running shoes, and being a stupid determined runner, decided to run barefoot. I can't remember if I heard any popping or snapping sound, but all of a sudden, my knee blossomed with pain. That whole week it was stiff and sore, especially first thing in the morning. I could barely walk. I took time off and let it heal, and then the recurrent IT band problems started. I've gone to a doctor before and have been perscribed meloxicam for when it flares. I do not feel the pain on a daily basis; just during runs. It almost immediately subsides when I start to walk, but after longer runs, I can usually feel it for a few days afterwards. It is also aggrevated by wearing heels (something that I now avoid).

I am wondering now if I possibly tore my IT band or something. I tried researching this online, but all the information I'm finding is for IT band syndrome. Is it possible to suddenly injure your IT band in that way? Should I see a doctor? If it is torn, what would be the protocol for fixing it?

I am desperate for relief... I am training for a half marathon and I am so frustrated. I feel like I am holding my running buddy back, and I hate feeling that pain after just a few miles.

Thanks for any help,

Thanks,
Cate

Answer
Dear Cate,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Ukranian Village 60622, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
For your IT band pain. You have aggravated the band to a point of chronic pain.It is unusual for the band to need to be fixed. Physical therapy may help. Sometimes orthotics & a gait analysis may help with any biomechanical issues. The vastus lateralus muscle from the upper leg & the peroneal longus from the lower leg also insert in that area & also may become irritated. These may also benefit from physical therapy. It really sounds like you never ler the initial injury heal. These kinds of injuries may require 3-6 weeks rest, depending on the severity of the irritation. The irritation consists of torn fibers in the IT band & or muscle. These require tincture of time to heal.
Hope this helps & Good Luck!

The Chicago Podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos, Svetlana Zats, Dr Mariano Rivera, Dr Massard & Dr Kurtz
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & 60622. Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further

Sports Medicine

Dr George Tsatsos