Sports Medicine/Bone chip

About 7-8 months ago I jammed my toe into the sweeper.  It was different from my usual stubbing of my toe into something.    I limped around for a while since everyone said that doctors don't do anything for a broken toe. It gradually got better.  About a 6 weeks ago, it started "zapping" me.  It started out less often, then more often as time went on.  It was a sharp nerve pain that ranged from just being there to making me jump and whine a bit.  I finally went to a foot doctor.  He took an x ray and said that I had broken a chip off when I broke it and it was sitting on a nerve.  He gave me a shot that he said would soften it and help it move.  That was a week ago.  

I would say it has lessened the zaps about 10-20%.  They are still there, making me jump and waking me at night. My other bonus is that since i got the shot, i have had a headache that only goes away for a few hours when I take something for it.  I called the doctor and they said it might require 2 more shots and if that didn't work, he would have to do surgery to remove the bone chip.   So I am scheduled to go back on Tuesday.  

I am wondering if skipping the shots and going straight to surgery is a smarter choice.  I mentioned it to the doctor and he said it was not the usual but could be done. When I set up this next appointment, the receptionist said that surgery would have to be done at a surgery center and that he could try to give me a shot that doesn't cause headaches.

I thought it would be a quick procedure done in his office but my daughter in law who is a CRNA confirmed that it would be a real surgery with twilight sleep with all the bells and whistles.  I really don't like that idea but also don't want to have more headaches for weeks after getting two more shots.   And would like to get rid of this pain in my toe!  I try to keep unnecessary chemical out of my body so the shot bothers me but then so does the idea of the surgery.  

Do you have any ideas or advice on what to do?  I would appreciate any input.  Thanks!  

Hi Kathy- you didn't mention which toe that is involved but in general here are some things to consider
1. Unusual for local, probably cortisone injection to cause headaches so another different one might make sense
2. Bone chip from injury 7mos ago isn't going to heal so if it still problem (after trying 2nd injection), or if injection causes headaches, have it removed. If 2nd injection is helpful, without headache effect, 3rd might do it. 3rd might not be needed.
3. Surgery can be done under straight local anesthesia without twilight if you want- discuss with dr.
Bottom line-- try 2nd injection & see how you do-- if not really helpful then have surgery. Chance is good injection can help & you'll know quickly.
4. surgical or fracture shoe after injection for wk or 2 might also keep area still for better post injection result.
Hope this is helpful-- good luck, Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.