Sports Medicine/Leg Length Discrepancy caused herniated disc

Hi, not sure you will have the answer but I'll give it a try. In 2004 I suffered a femur fracture in my left leg had rods put in and removed later. Ended up having to have a screw surgically inserted in my right hip. I am now 22 years old and playing college football and recently found out I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back. It caused excruciating sciatic pain in one leg then switched to the other. Surgery was not recommended because I was and am not in excruciating pain as I was in the beginning. Yesterday I also found out that I have a 1 inch leg length discrepancy and that may be the cause of my back problems. My question is could a 1 inch thick insole in my right shoe help the pain go away? And could I insert it into my football cleat?

Hi Jordan- yes it's possible that the leg length discrepancy is related to your back problems. BUT- the following info is important
1.- consult with your sports therapist or better yet sports Chiro re the measured difference- 1inch is a lot- doubt its that much.
2. Foot mechanics also very important so get some sports podiatry input re orthotics ( they can include lift), possibly in conjunction with the shoe
3. My recc is to probably start with 50% of the difference & proceed from there- don't recc the whole amt.
4. Often leg length correction is. Not precise so you need medical supervision-especially with your surgical history & the sport of football
BOTTOM LINE-- I would expect ideally that prescription orthotics with some heel lift correction & combined with lift correction on shoe would be best -- if ok with your Doc- you might try 1/2 inch insole in shoe gradually & see how it feels in football cleats but YOU NEED SPORTS MED SUPERVISON to really determine the proper amount ETC. Hope this is helpful- Good Luck, Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.