Sports Medicine/is finger fractured

I know your specialty is feet, but there is currently no one at this site available for my question.
Last week I fell and my hand pinky started to hurt. I still have this pain in the pinky. I can move and bend the pinky, but have pain. Pain is tolerable when not using pinky but increases greatly when using it. At this stage, I want to avoid x-rays and not see a doctor. Is there a way I can tell if it is fractured on my own without me getting an x-ray and doctor's opinion?

Hi Iris- unfortunately it is impossible to be sure you have bone fracture without X-ray or MRI. I there is not lots of pain, & you don't for whatever reason want X-ray, then you could tape finger to next one for few weeks & see if it improves. However, depending which joint of your finger, what precisely you injured, you are guessing without Dr. Visit & X-ray. If swelling & discomfort continue - be smart, have it evaluated. Good luck, hope this helps, Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.