Sports Medicine/diet for lightness and speed?

Question
Hi Bob
I am 56, and after many years off with health and weight problems, I plan on getting back into walking, jogging, then running  the trails. I am also a former soccer coach with an interest in all sports and physical training, especially those sports requiring 'speed', lightness, and quickness of foot. For those types of  atheletes, especially those that need to drop the pounds, what is the current diet advice?
For the general public, low carb still seems to be in. I have tried it without much success. Low energy, indigestion, etc. I have gone back to the old low fat diet, and I am starting to see results. All the high level hockey, soccer players, runners, etc I ever knew shunned fat, except for a bit of 'good' fat, and loaded up on carbs and fruits and vegetables. It was the football and rugby players, that needed less speed but more brawn, that ate more meat to build up muscle. I find that as long as you count grams of fat, you can eat a ton of carbs and have a ton of energy. Thanks for your thoughts!

Answer
Hi Bud- glad to see you're bac in action. My suggestion is to keep doing what you're doing because it sounds like you're getting results & feeling good. Consulting with a good sports nutritionist is always a good idea so you might consider that. Adding juicing to your routine is almost always productive. There are as many opinions regarding fat, protein, carb ratios, as there are nutritionists, so "everything in moderation" is a good way to go again paying attention to your body & how you feel re energy, body weight, etc. Also good supplementation re vitamins is good idea.
 Regarding quickness, foot speed & agility ck out my site sportsdoctorradio.com ChicagoNow Blogs & get my blog article re "Run faster, jump higher, improve quickness". Basically follow some of these important points
1. Make sure you are in the right shoes for your foot type & are fitted properly- might consider cross trainers if you are running uneven surface trails
2. Work balance & stability exercises including lower legs & core
3. Strengthen your feet & ankles- rubber band exercises great
4. Don't overdo your intensity, mileage or speed to aggressively... Overuse injuries are common in our 50s
Hope this helps... Good luck,  Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil