Sports Medicine/Pain sitting.

I am 35 and male and about 5 days ago started feeling a dull gawdy feeling when I sit down. Particularly bad in the morning and stretching seems to help. Yesterday was feeling better but today worse again. Was thinking I somehow brused my tail bone or something which I've read can be healed in a couple weeks by keeping in motion. I'm wondering if something like this is worth a doctor's appointment? I don't know the cause and I don't think it has been as bad again since day one. I have my physical in February. I worry I make too many unnecessary appointments. Last time my middle back hurt apparently because I slept on my stomach and it wasn't likely the best use of time for that PA.

Hi James,

Sorry to hear about your discomfort.  Since your symptoms came on without an injury or trauma, I think it would be reasonable to give them some time to resolve and to wait until your physical in February to get it checked out. If your symptoms worsen, if you develop radiating symptoms down one or both legs and or bowel or bladder incontinence, you certainly should be seen right away. Try sitting on a doughnut type pillow (which you should be able to find at a pharmacy) or roll a towel in a circle to take pressure off your tailbone area, and see if that help.

Good luck and best wishes in your recovery.

Sports Medicine

Hope T. Horton, RN, BSN

Questions related to knee, shoulder, hip and ankle injuries, including treatment options and what is involved in recovery from injuries including surgical and non surgical interventions.

I an a registered nurse and have worked in orthopaedics and sports medicine for over twenty years (since 1993).

Graduated summa cum laude as the valedictorian from Regis University in Denver, CO with my BSN. Prior to that I was an EMT working in emergency rooms in Vail, CO and Denver, CO as well as on an ambulance in Vail, CO.

Elected Valedictorian of my class and awarded to Regent Award for excellence in academics. Elected to Phi Beta Kappa.