Sports Medicine/Numbness in right foot

Question
Hello, and thanks for your help. I was walking up some stairs 2 weeks ago as part of an exercise routine, and something went kablooey all of a sudden. The weirdest symptom was immediate numbness in my right foot, specifically the 3 toes on the right, the outside part of my right foot, and parts of my sole. All other symptoms went away except for this, and a swelling behind my right knee, and the right side. I can walk OK, there is no pain, but my doctor found weakness in my right calf muscle, and no reflexes in my right ankle. He wants to wait another month to see if the symptoms go away on their own. In the meantime I can't wear most of my shoes because I lose some circulation in my foot. Loose fitting shoes are fine. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Answer
Hi Dan - sounds a bit bizarre so I agree with your Dr. To see how these symptoms respond over this next month. He might consider referring you to physical therapy for evaluation & treatment. You might have aggravated a nerve in your foot as typical neuroma (enlarged nerve), symptoms often involve the area of the foot you described. Should your symptoms of swelling, weakness persist a consult with neurologist makes sense. Your age & medical history is also pertinent. (diabetes?). Wear comfortable gym shoes with good arch support even if you need some slightly larger to accommodate the swelling. I do feel that physical therapy, to increase strength, range of motion & evaluate balance & reflexes makes sense. Foot evaluation with podiatrist to ck. for neuroma & foot mechanics also good idea.... Hope this helps.. Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil