Sports Medicine/Researching an Injury for Novel

Question
I am aware that your specialty is lower body, but being that you've treated Hockey players I wanted to direct this question at you in hopes that might have some knowledge.. I'm writing a manuscript currently about a hockey player and I want to injure him enough to miss 4-6 weeks worth of games. I was really looking to injure the shoulder area though in a car accident. Looking at the anatomy of the shoulder I'm torn between going straight down and into a ligament or just a laceration to the deltoid muscle. Would either of those injuries take longer than 4-6 weeks to heal? If you can't answer that question might you know anyone I could contact that wouldn't mind being pestered by a writer? Thanks!

Answer
Hi April- of course, looking to contemplate what type of injury would put a player out for 4-6 wks  in the hockey world is not that difficult. Almost any moderate to aggressive knee injury would do it, as would severe ankle injury. If your looking for shoulder - any moderate shoulder separation or dislocation would work well. If you're talking car injury, moderate to severe jamming of the joint without fracture also would fit. Doesn't sound like you need medical diagnosis so specificity not necessary. Aggressive ligament injury could easily take 4-6 wks. Good luck, hope this help... Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil