Sports Medicine/Sudden pain in arch of foot

Question
Hello!

55 year old female, in pretty good physical shape, not overweight.  I walk for fitness, stretch and do mild yoga (shoulder issues) and swim here and there.  A week ago I was walking barefoot in my apartment and I felt like I had stepped on something sharp or blunt but I could not find anything obvious on my rug.  I thought maybe it was a dried piece of food or something that hardened that I stepped on.  The skin was not broken and there was no bruise, so I just figured it would go away.

The night before I walked about a mile (slowly) wearing Chaco sandals that do have a good arch support.  Since my feet are quite small for an adult, I wear the kids version which have a less rigid sole than the adult. I also took a trip abroad earlier this month and wore same sandals walking long distances, also alternated with Brooks running shoes.

I have felt some aching at rest and sometimes have awakened at night.  I am afraid this is the beginning of plantar fasciitis but it is not in my heel, it is right in my arch.  I have started gentle calf stretching, and exercises I found online and currently have my foot on a bag of frozen peas. I have started magnesium supplements at night, usually take 250 but upped it to 500 mg.

Also, I live in a 4th floor walkup so have stairs to deal with.  I am in the process of finding a new place to live.   This worries me.

Do you think I should see a podiatrist right away or are self-care techniques OK for now?

Answer
Hi Rita- absolutely be proactive & see podiatrist. Plantar fasciitis affects the arch as well as the heel. What you're doing with mild stretching & ice is helpful- continue same. Might want to take, if no stomach problems, 2 ibuprophen 2x/day for anti inflammatory for 5-7 days. You might have bruised your arch stepping on something or pulled or stretched some fascia fibers. Stair climbing is a challenge but you gotta do it - wear your walking shoes with good support, --sandles with good support in house. Try some soft Dr.Scholls soft arch supports in your sneakers gradually & if good, "live in em" until you see podiatrist. Good luck - Hope this helps... Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil