Sports Medicine/hard pad on bottom of toe

first of all, thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom and expertise with all of us appreciative souls. your credentials are impressive, and treating john mcEnroe  must have been quite the experience.

that being said, i am not sure if it is indeed proper for me to impose on you with this question. i have developed something on my foot which seems to be an anomaly...hopefully, you will disprove this belief...

we took two long walks recently, and on the way home on the second day, i noticed that the bottom of my fourth toe had developed what i am calling a pyramid...the toe on the bottom was in the shape of a triangle, and it was quite hard. i have soaked it a few times in hot and cold water, and it does appear to soften somewhat.

it is painful now to walk on and painful to the touch. it now looks like a white hard vertical line, going from whole length of the toe [again located on the bottom pad]

any thoughts, oh sage one? i would be so appreciative for any information you might be willing to proffer. i have a young son who is wanting to go walking again, and i am going to go brave it right now, but i would appreciate knowing if i am doing any further damage to myself in doing so.

thank you once again for being willing to give of yourself. we are very grateful to you.

Hi jj- sounds like you've got a ridge callous on the tip of your toe, often associated with  the toe somewhat curly shaped & pinching that skin during walking to  form hard callous. These are quite common. Also could be planters wart tissue. Good idea is to see podiatrist who can identify the problem & probably painlessly trim the area down. Once done, & identified, you might get it trimmed every few months keeping you comfortable & walking or keep it smooth with emory board or clipper.If wart tissue, other treatment might be indicated... See podiatrist... Hope this helpful, good luck.. Dr. Bob Weil

Sports Medicine

Dr. Bob Weil

Diagnosis & treatment & PREVENTION of foot & foot related lower extremity sports related problems. Indications & uses of prescription in shoe orthotics. Foot, ankle functional exercises for injury prevention & enhanced performance. Specific specialty in orthotic use in figure skating & hockey. Access to all topics re sports medicine at radio shows & articles re "the physical & mental challenges of the high performance youth athlete.

Podiatry Management Magazine, 9/10/10, "Hitting the Airwaves- this podiatrist uses his own radio show to promote Podiatry Podiatry Management Mag-6/-7/2010, "Figure Skating, Olympic Gold, & Podiatry Lower Extremity Review,7/2012, Pediatric Obesity weighs on Bones & Joints Numerous articles,"the sports doctor"- listed news articles 3 years of weekly radio shows, "the sports doctor", listed shows

BA degree science Univ. Louisville, Doctor Podiatric Medicine, Scholls College Podiatric Medicine, Chicago, Ill.

Treated many athletes in all sports, tennis- John McEnroe, Tracy Austin, numerous members of 85 Super Bowl Bears Evan Lysacek, 2010 men's Olympic Gold Medal figure skating champion.