Sports Trading/Collect Cards/autographed baseball

Question
My grandpa was a bat boy for the brooklyn dodgers when Jackie Robinson was first signed and for a few years after that.  Because of this he was able to get autographs from the entire team on baseballs, and eventually passed them down to me.  I am looking into selling a few of them now and I was told by a local sports memorabilia store that they were worthless because he varnished the baseballs after getting the autographs.  They offered me $50 for them but I said no, I am pretty sure they were just trying to swindle me with that.  So my question is, does the varnish ruin the value?  All of the names are crisp and since i got them I have kept them all in individual ball displays and have never taken them out or handled them by hand.  

secondly, where would a good place be to get these appraised and put on auction, or should I avoid auction and sell some other way?

thanks

Answer
John,
  Yes, they are worth substantially more than you were offered. And yes the varnish does lower the potential value significantly. That being said, Autographed team baseballs from the Dodgers with Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella, that are varnished should be worth between $1,000.00 and $4,000.00 each. That is a wide range, but it has to be as I have not seen the balls. It depends on condition and how many of the current team actually signed.
 I am on the road right now and can not look up any phone numbers for you right now, but You might look up Joshua Evans at "Lelands" Auctions. He is a good place to go for New York items. Check him out on the internet and make sure you are comfortable with he and his business. And see what he would put as an auction estimate. My estimates are from experience of a few years back, his estimates would be current.
 On these kind of items, my first thought would be they would get the best price at auction, but you have to make that call.
Good luck with your wonderful items. Also any Dodger clothing would be of extreme interest to any collector.

Sports Trading/Collect Cards

Bob Livingston