Sports Trading/Collect Cards/Which 3rd Party Grading Service Holders Are Safest?

Hi Bob,

I have some cards I'd like to have graded in the near future.  It seems like Beckett's move to have pre-1981 cards as the BVG service without sub grades had mixed reviews.  But Beckett still has cards in penny sleeve type holders within their slabs, and therefore the card edges will avoid any possible wear that way.  

PSA seems to be more popular, but are normal size cards, if not seriously miscut, at any risk of edge wear by bumping into the inner sides of the holder?  For me, if there is any real risk of this, I would prefer BVG, even if their slabbed cards are less popular with the hobby overall.  

Thanks so much for your input.

I do not think the packaging difference from Beckett to PSA is any big deal. The amount of force it would take to damage the sides or corners of any cards would destroy the holders themselves so it is a mute point.
 I happen to like Jim Beckett and his organization and staff. I like his quality control. But if you want to sell the items, it might be that PSA grading will be more "liquid". You might take a look at your cards, estimate what grade you might think they are then look at eBay prices realized for the same grade with the different services. My guess would be that for most grades the PSA slabbing would do better for you. One thing is for sure is that if you want to use different venues to market your cards the PSA is universally recognizable so more persons could buy the cards and know the value without having to look anything up. So again more useful no matter what the price realized.
I hope this helps you,
Good luck  

Sports Trading/Collect Cards

Bob Livingston

I can answer questions about Baseball, Basketball, Hockey and Football cards printed before 1980. Also I can answer some questions about pre-1980 Sports Memorabilia, autographs, and Unlimited Hydroplane racing and memorabilia. I also can answer questions about pathological collecting and hoarding. And questions about liquidating collections and hoards.

My brother and myself have been dealers and price setters in antiques, sport cards, Unlimited Hydroplane racing and local Pacific Northwest sports cards and memorabilia. We were owners of University Trading Co. and U-Trading Cards (In Seattle Washington) from 1980 until retirement in 2006. 35 years of experience as consultant with medical professionals for compulsive behavior and collecting. 20 years experience as consultant for insurance companies specializing in collectibles and sports memorabilia.

Washington State Sports Collectors Association

Pricing information on Baseball cards, Basketball card and Football cards was supplied to Jim Beckett by myself and my brother for inclusion in his price guides.

I have made hundreds of thousands of deals in the collecting field. And in so doing I have made lots of mistakes. I remember some of my good deals and all of my mistakes. General Education: St. Martins University 1979, University of Washington 1983, Ho Chi Minh University