Springboard and Platform Diving/Competitive diving

My 11 year old was a gymnast and I would like to get her into diving but don't want to waste my time on a weak program.  Where should I look around eastside of metro Detroit?
Jill Mattes

Jill -

I am not that familiar with diving teams in your city so I am going to refer you to someone who is.Don Mason, who lives in Bloomfield Hills, is the National Chairman of the High School
All American Diving Committee. Even though you daughter is not a high school student, Don has done club coaching in your area for many years and works with kids her age.He is going to able to send you in the right direction. I will leave his contact info at the end of my answer.

You may have to be prepared to drive out of your area to get the kind of program you want. Your metro area, to my knowledge, does not have the type of aquatic centers that would attract an elite coach. Coaches rely on schools, cities and counties to rent pools that have advanced diving equipment. I just do not think there is one in Detroit.

While you wait to hear back from Don, here are some websites to check out:

www.usadiving.org - Click on Join USA Diving an then Find A Club. Enter MI and a list of teams will come up. The closest to you is in Bloomfield Hills. The best diving pool is found in Ann Arbor at the University of Michigan. I think Don is affiliated with the program there.

www.aaudiving.org - Another site to find a team. Just follow the instructions on the home page.
You may have to have her join this group to be able to take lessons.

www.divemeets.com - Click on Find and then Teams. A huge list will come up. Look under AAU and scroll down looking in the third column that is by state and then look for teams in MI. Click on the team name for contact info. Also scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for teams under USA Diving. Also under Find you can click on Pools and Coaches.

www.diving.about.com - Site that explains the sport. Enter lessons in the search box and have your daughter read about learn to dive programs so she knows what to expect.

Don's e-mail is: aadiving@niscaonline.org.Mention I referred you to him and I know he will reply.

I am sure you will find a team she likes. You just have to be prepared to do some driving to get there. Good luck in your search.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year