Springboard and Platform Diving/Diving Lessons

I am studying abroad for my junior year of high school in Beijing China. I was a diver back in America, and was looking to further my diving career here. I was wondering if there was a place with English speaking coaches that will coach high schoolers here in Beijing for only 6 months?

Kelly -

You are living in one of the world's elite diving meccas and I am sure there are several excellent diving facilities and programs but finding a coach that speaks English is going to be difficult. The only English speaking Chinese coaches I know of live here in the US.

I am going to suggest a website to go to that will have contact information in Beijing so you can continue your search:

www.fina.org (this is the international governing body for all aquatic sports).
Click on 'Structure' at the top of the home page.
On the next page scroll down looking on the left side for 'National Federations'.
On this page click on 'Asia'.
Now look for CHN on the first page to go to China's page.

There you will find an address, phone number, e-mails and webpage for you to contact. I think you will need to speak or write in Chinese or find someone who can do it for you to communicate your request.Do not expect these contact people to speak or write English.

You only chance of finding a coach who speaks English is someone who is studying the language so they can move to an English speaking country to coach diving there. There are Chinese coaches in all the major English speaking diving countries so you may find someone who wants to speak the language. See if you can find a coach you can help learn the language in exchange for them coaching you.

Good luck in your search.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year