Springboard and Platform Diving/Beginning Diving at 16 in the UK

Hi, I live in the UK and am 16 years old. I have always been interested in diving and the recent Olympics has made me want to try out the sport. I have a good fitness level and go to the gym but have no experience in diving. Do you think 16 years old would be to late to start? I would like to do the sport as a hobby but if I really enjoyed it and was good at the sport would I be able to advance professionally despite my late age?

Thank You

Oliver -

I have been getting this question a lot since the Olympic ended. I'll tell you the same thing that I have told other kids from your country - by US standards you are not too old. This is because we have high school diving and other competitive diving leagues all over the states. England however, probably does not have the same number of diving programs as we do that have room for all ages and abilities. You should not wait any longer to start diving and need to find a coach right away that will take a new student your age. They will be able to tell you if you would be able to advance professionally in your country.I can only answer that part of your question for American divers.

Go to this website to find a team: - site that explains the sport

Good luck and get started today!

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year