Springboard and Platform Diving/Rotation advice

My daughter has just started diving (she is only 8).  She has been doing gymnastics previously.  When she tries to do a regular dive (head first, off the 1m or edge), she over rotates.  Any tips we can pass on to her?  She also has developed the (gymnastics) habit of putting her arms out front to "stick" a landing.

Jo -

I'll be able to help you better if you can give me a more accurate description of these dives she is doing.A 'regular dive' can mean many different things. Do you mean a front dive? If so, what position is she trying to do it in? #tuck, pike or straight# On the sticking the landing problem, this must mean on feet first entries but I do not know what dive she is doing. Is it a jump or somersault? Is she doing it forward or backward?

Ask a follow up question with as much information as you can about the dives she knows and I'll be happy to help.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year