Springboard and Platform Diving/Daughter Diving for the first time as a Freshman in HIgh School

My Freshman in high school started diving lessons in June of 2013.  She has a tumbling background (standing tuck, layouts, etc.).  She has her first High School practice soon.  She really only has 3 good dives now.  How many should she have and what are they?   Her instructor told us she would be great in the Novice division.  What are the divisions?  Thank you for the insight.

Hi Mom -

In high school diving there are two divisions: Varsity and Junior Varsity. Some leagues only have the Varsity division. The Novice division refers to meets held by club teams and is not a high school division. Here is some information about what high school diving is about:

There are four positions that dives can be done in: straight, tuck and pike. The fourth position is called 'free' and applies only to dives with somersaults and twists in them.

High school divers need to know how to dives from the five groups:

1. Front - front dives and somersaults
2. Back - back dives and somersaults
3. Reverse - take-off forward and then rotate backwards doing a dive or somersault
4. Inward - take off facing backward and then rotate forward with a dive or somersault
5. Twist  - dives that have both a somersault and a twist

In a high school dual meet (her school vs. a neighboring school), varsity divers do six dives consisting of both voluntary dives (easy dives) and optional dives (harder dives). All of these dives have a degree of difficulty value to them. Her coach will have a chart with all the dive choices there are along with the difficulty (D.D.) value. Here is an example of the easiest list I think of for a varsity diver to do at a dual meet:

1. Front dive (choose position)
2. Back dive     "      "
3. Inward dive   "      "
4. Front somersault "   "
5. Back somersault  "   "
6. A front somersault with a 1/2 twist or a back somersault with a 1/2 twist (free position)

Dives 1,2 & 3 are considered voluntary dives and easy to do. Dives 4, 5 & 6 are considered optional dives and are harder to do.

Go to this website, and in the search box, type 'high school diving' and have her read articles so she knows what to expect.

Good luck. Hope all this helps.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year