Springboard and Platform Diving/Am I too old to start diving?

Question
Hi!  Im 16 years old and for a while now I have been interested in diving.  I have a friend who does it and she has been talking to me about it.  I am just nervous that I will be the oldest, or to old to do it. I don't have much of a gymnastics background but I am on the highschool swim team.  I have always had a hard time with sports because I am so short (only 4'11 1/2").  I think it might be fun as a hobby but I am nervous because of my age
-Beth

Answer
Hi Beth -

You are not too old to start diving but do not wait any longer. Your size could be to your advantage if your weight is proportionate to your height. Diving is easier for shorter people than for someone who is over 6 feet, is your age and new to the sport.

You should plan on attending your friends practices to get an idea about what to expect. Then ask if you can try out a lesson or two to see if you like it. You have nothing to lose so after your high school season is over, go attend some practices with your friend or watch a lesson group that you would be placed in.

Try this website for more info:

www.diving.about.com - Type in 'Lessons' or 'Learn to Dive' in the search box and read some articles about your new sport.

Good luck and get started soon.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp