Springboard and Platform Diving/diving

my daughter is a level 8 gymnast that wants to get into diving what is the first steps we should take

Lawrence -

You should take your daughter to the pools closest to you that have USA or AAU Diving programs and have her watch some practices/lessons so she has an idea of what to expect. Then ask the coaches if she can have a couple of trial lessons to she if she likes it. Here is how to find pool/programs:

www.usadiving.org - Click on Join USA Diving and then Find A Club. Enter your state and a list of teams will come up.

www.aaudiving.org - Another source of finding a team but a little harder to navigate.

www.divemeets.com - Click on Find and then Teams. A huge list will come up. Scroll down looking in the third column for your state. Then click on teams name for contact info. Also under Find click on Pools. Look for pools in your state and click on the pools name for contact info. Pools listed have held big meets so they are bound to have a team/coach.

www.diving.about.com - Site that explains the sport. Enter Learn To Dive or Lessons in the search box and have her read articles about learning to dive.

Good luck. am sure you will find something.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year