Springboard and Platform Diving/diving try-out for a gymnast boy

Hi Tom,

my soon to be 11 year old level 6 gymnast boy wants to check out diving. We wive in west LA and I can't find a single diving team here where we live on Is there nothing in LA? Seems highly unlikely. We do not want recreational but competitive.

Liana -

You live in one of the most successful areas of the country for competitive club diving so I do not know why your search has failed. At, click on Join USA Diving and then 'Find A Club'. Enter CA and a list of teams will come up with contact info. Look for these teams: - Run by the UCLA coach at the pool on campus. - Run by the USC coach at the pool on campus. - A little further to go but an excellent age group program in Pasadena.

I would look into these programs this week as lesson programs can fill up fast in the summer. You should take your son to each facility and have him watch a practice session. Very often a free trial lesson is offered to see how he likes it.

Go to and in the search box enter lessons or Learn To Dive and have him read some articles so he knows what to expect.

Good luck in your search. I am sure you will find something he likes. Diving is very strong in LA with all excellent national level coaches.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year