Springboard and Platform Diving/Diving National Score ?

My son is going to his first USA Diving national (11 under), I see that they have a prelims and then the top 12 go to the finals. Do they add the scores from prelims to the finals score to get the winner or are the scores wiped clean and the winner is just based on the dive score from finals event? Thank you!

Kim -

In looking at the rule book for this question, I see that if your son makes the top 12, that his first 3 dives scores (called voluntaries with limit)are carried over to the finals and then he does only his 3 optionals (dives without limit) in the finals. So his first 3 dives in the prelims are added with the 3 optional dives he does in the finals for his grand total score. You can read about this by going to this link:

Click on 'Resources' and then 'For Coaches'.
Click on 'Rule Book'.
Then click on 'Competition and Technical Rules' under Part 1
Now go to 'Junior Competition'
Scroll down to page J-16 and look for part 'G' and read paragraphs 1 & 2.

You can also go to divemeets.com which I am sure you are familiar with. Click on the meets name and then for his event, click on 'Rule' and 'Qualification Rule' for a shorter explanation.

Good luck!

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year