Springboard and Platform Diving/springboard diving lessons

Question
I'm 62 and enjoyed competative age group diving when I was younger.
Self taught and have all of the bad habits that go with that!
I still get on the board once in awhile and have fun with my teenage son and daughter.
I'd like to get linked up with someone in the area (Olympia, Tacoma,Seattle) who would be willing to provide lessons for someone my age.
Do you have any suggestions?

Answer
Roger -

I used to live and coach in the Puget Sound area so I am familiar with what is going on with diving there. Most of diving in the greater Seattle area is for high school students and kids on summer league teams so it is mainly divers 18 and under that use the few pools with diving boards. There are a few club teams but they are mostly comprised of kids age 8 to 18. There is no college diving in the state of Washington.

The best pool in the area with diving equipment is found in Federal Way at the King County Aquatic Center. It is a world class pool that has hosted many major diving events. There are two club teams that rent the pool. One is only for 18 & under divers and the other has taken adults in the past. They are called Emerald Diving. I do not have their contact info but if you call the pool and I am sure they can tell you who to call or email.

Right now, all the pools with boards are being used by high school age girls. Their season ends on Nov 15 and then the boys season starts on the 17th and goes to the middle of February. After high school diving is over will probably be your best chance to start diving. Here are some links to check out:

www.usadiving.org - Click on Join USA Diving and then Find A Club. Enter WA and see if some names come up.

www.divemeets.com. Click on Find and then Pools. You can also click on Teams and a huge list will come up. Under AAU Diving look for teams in WA. Click on the teams name and see if contact info comes up. Also at this site, look on the right hand side of the home page for upcoming meets. Click on the ones that are put on by the WIAA group. They are hosting the state championships later this month at the pool in Federal Way. If you drop by during the diving events, you could talk to some coaches for more info on how you can start diving.

www.mastersdiving.org. Website for adult recreational and competitive diving.

www.swimmersguide.com. Navigate your way to find pools with diving boards in various Puget Sound cities/counties.

Good luck.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp