Springboard and Platform Diving/High school springboard diving

Are you allowed to compete 1m with only standing dives? (Including Reverses and forward) I recently fractured my toe a few weeks ago and it's healing fast. I can't put full force on it like I would with a regular forward approach, but standing dives I'm okay. We have an overnight swim/dive meet in Las Cruses, NM next Friday, and I would hate to miss out on it. Thank you for your help!

Julian -

I wish I had a definite answer for you but because I am not involved with a high school diving team, I do not have access to a rulebook which is where the answer to your question is found. At your next practice, ask your diving coach or head swim coach if they have a copy of the current school year rule book. If they do, look up the section on diving rules. In that chapter look for the section that describes how dives are scored. Under 'Failed Dives' look to see if a front approach is required for front group, reverse group and front twisting dives.

In the past, I have seen a rule that a dive is failed if the diver does less than 3 steps followed by a hurdle. You have to look and see if this is still the rule.

If your coaches do not have a rule book for you to look at, go to this website: This is the website for all high school sports and they will have available a rule book to download. It could be that one of the coaches belongs to this organization. If the coaches do not belong, maybe your schools athletic director does. There is a fee to join. Only members can access rule books.

There is a person you can send an email to who will know the answer for sure. His name is Don Mason and he is in charge of the All American selection committee for high school diving. He knows all the high school rules. His email is Send him an email and tell him that you asked me this question but I did not know the answer. I have known Don for many years so I am sure he will help you. The only problem you may be facing in hearing back from him is that because of the holidays, he may be away from his desk.

I hope you are able to attend your meet. Good luck.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year