Springboard and Platform Diving/Wrist Pain

Hi. My 11 year old daughter moved from gymnastics to diving last year. She is now starting to do more platform work and would like to do a lot more as she enjoys it a lot. The problem is is that the wrist pain she used to get when she tumbled, is now coming back. It is affecting her during and after practice, both wet and dry, particularly on the higher platforms and in arm stand drills.
I wanted to ask how you feel about wrist taping or the use of guards. Do you think she should try one or the other? Is there any exercises you can do to help the wrists?
Any advice would be great.

Hi Jo -

Wrist pain is common among platform divers but I would have to say that 11 is pretty young to be experiencing it. When you say higher platforms, I hope you don't mean 10M because I think she is too young to be going headfirst from that height. Here in the States, you have to be 14 to compete at that height. If she is doing 10M you should start having her wear wrist guards right away. Using wrist tape is OK but not as good as guards. If she is not currently doing exercises, you should be alarmed that her coaches have not started her doing wrist strengthening exercises on a regular basis, including at home.

Here are some websites to go to find wrist guards:

www.divegym.co.uk - At the bottom of the homepage, click on Wrist Guards.

www.springboardsandmore.com - Click on 'Diver Training' and then look for wrist guards.

www.diving.about.com/od/forbeginner1/a/wrist-grips-in-diving.htm - article about the importance of using wrist guards.

www.swimming.org/britishswimming/ - Click on diving to find out more about your sport in England.

Describing the types of wrist exercises she should be doing is difficult over the internet. Have a discussion with her coach that you feel it is very important to start these exercises and find a physical therapist to get the best information on starting an exercise routine right away.

Diving 10M at this age will lead to continued wrist problems that will lead to weakened triceps which will lead to shoulder and neck problems. I strongly suggest she only dive 5M and 7.5M and only do that 2 to 3 days per week and never on consecutive days. Also only do platform during the competitive season and not 12 months per year.

Good luck. Hope all this helps. I have seen divers careers end early from doing too much platform at a young age. Please be careful.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year