Springboard and Platform Diving/Beginner to Diving

Question
My daughter is 12 years old and wishes to learn how to dive. I am having difficulty finding schools where she can learn how to dive. Where can I find a list of schools/centers/organizations wherein she can learn how to dive. I am in the San Francisco bay area.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
You live in a metro area where diving is very popular, quite large and has excellent programs. You should have no problem finding one but may have to drive out of your home town to get to one.

Go to www.usadiving.org. Click on Join USA Diving (there will be no fee involved to look for a team). Click on Find A Club. At the next page there is a short paragraph that ends in the word "here". Click on that word and it will take you to a page where you just enter CA on the drop down menu.

A large list of teams will come up that all offer lessons. In the north bay, there is Napa Valley and SOMA. In the south bay there is Stanford Diving and Santa Clara Diving. In the east bay there is All Valley Divers, Sherman Divers and the Cal Diving club.

I am sure you will find something she likes. I would act now as lesson fills up quickly in the upcoming months.

Go to www.diving.about.com and in the search box, enter 'lessons' or 'learn to dive'. Have her read articles about diving so she knows what to expect.

Good luck in your search.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp