Springboard and Platform Diving/New Diving Club in Northern California

Question
CDC Logo
CDC Logo  
Hi Tom,

I just read one of your answers for a dad looking for diving in our neck of the woods and wanted to update you on our club's existence.

Founded in Summer of 2013, CAL Diving Club (Yes, U.C. Berkeley) provides year-round instruction in both springboard and tower diving.

Please check out our website (www.CALdiving.org) and update any postings as you see fit.

We are based in Walnut Creek, CA; but we offer both pool and trampoline training in several facilities in the surrounding area (see our website under the "Locations" tab for specific locations).

We would appreciate an acknowledgement and maybe a shout-out.

Finally, we'd love to have you drop-by, participate, or judge a meet when we get that far.

All the Best ~ Eric
See you in the Air!

Answer
Hi Eric -

Whenever I get a question from a family looking for a diving program, I tell them to go to the USA Diving website and click on the Find A Club link. They then enter the state they live in and a list of teams come up. I do this myself before I answer their question and give them a few recommendations. In your case, I would mention your club as well as Sherman Divers and All Valley Divers. I then suggest that the family visit all 3 programs and then make a decision.

I coached the Santa Clara Divers for 17 years (1981-'97)and know Steve Sherman and Monte Young so if a family from the East Bay is looking for a team, I would always include them in a suggestion.

One of your coaches, Aric Gilbrecht, is a good friend of mine who I have known since the 1970's. We were both in the same South American Circus mentioned in his bio where we performed together. He also practiced with me when I was a P.E. Instructor at De Anza College in Cupertino.

10 years ago I was the age group coach at Stanford. Thomas Selby was in my Learn To Dive Program!

Please tell both of them I said hello. Best of luck with your new team and I hope that Cal builds a new indoor facility some day as they really need a great diving well with platforms like the other major Pac 12 schools.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp