Springboard and Platform Diving/Over rotating Front Dive

Question
I have an 11 year old daughter that just started diving a few months ago.  Her form and lines look really nice, BUT she isn't able to progress to other dives because when she does a front dive her legs flip all the way over so that she ends up on her back practically when the dive is finished.  She looks great at the beginning of the dive and then she just flips over by the time her hands hit the water.  She is getting frustrated because she doesn't know how to fix it and her coaches have been working with her but nothing they tell her has seemed to help.  I've been looking to see if I could find answers online or a tutorial video, but haven't found anything yet.  So any tips or pointers would greatly help!  Thanks!

Answer
Ann -

Go to these websites to find educational materials on diving -

www.usadiving.org - click on Store and then Educational Materials. Several different books, cd roms and DVD's that will help. Also, is your daughter's coach a USA Diving Safety Certified Instructor/Coach? If not, it could be why she is having some difficulties. At this site, click on Join USA Diving and Find A Club. Enter your state and look for programs near you that have these types of coaches.

www.diving.about.com - Site that explains the sport. Enter 'Lessons' or 'Learn To Dive' in the search box and have her read informative articles about how to be a better diver.

www.springboardsandmore.com - At the top of the home page, click on Diver Training and at the next page, click on Books and Videos.

I wish I could help you more, but it is difficult to coach diving over the internet. I would really need to see her do this dive to help her figure out what is going wrong.

I hope you find some educational materials to help her become a better diver.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp