Springboard and Platform Diving/Diving lessons in Seattle area?

Hi Tom,

My son is 9 and had his first diving lessons at West Point last year with Ron Contura and loved it.  We are considering a move to northern Seattle area, and I can't find recent information about diving programs.  (there is a lot of scary talk about program and pool shutdowns in 2009...)

Can you provide some updates on what might be available in the Seattle area?

Thank you so much,

Sandra -

I lived in that area (Everett) for about 7 years and did some coaching so I am familiar with the pools there. North of Seattle there are a few options for diving lessons.

The City of Everett has Forest Park pool and they have offered lessons in the past. A guy named Lee was the last person I knew of teaching there. You can Google it to find out more info.

In Snohomish,about 7 miles east of Everett there is a very nice new aquatic facility that just opened last year. They offer diving lessons. Their website is

10 miles north of Everett is the town of Marysville. They have a pool on a high school campus. I am not sure of the contact info. It is mainly used for high school swimming/diving but they may have lessons there in the summer.

About 10 miles south of Everett is the City of Lynnwood. They recently remodeled their pool and have one diving board. Another Google search for the City of Lynnwood Park & Rec Dept.

10 miles east of Seattle is Bellevue. They are planning on building a new very large aquatic facility that will have diving boards. I do not know when or where but will give you someone to contact. There is a woman who coaches high school diving and also gives private/semi-private lessons at various pools in the Puget Sound area (including the pool in Everett) Her name is Joylnn Leitzel and if you email her and mention my name she can get back to you with more info on diving where you may be living. Her email is

Finally, if your son really wants to become a good diver, you have to travel 25 miles south of Seattle to Federal Way. In this city there is one of the best indoor diving pools in the US, the King County Aquatic Center, that has hosted many big diving events (nationals, NCAA events and Olympic Trials), and has a good club team. The Pacific Northwest Divers are coached by my friend Jim Southerland. His email is

Good luck. Hope all this helps.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year