Springboard and Platform Diving/Dive Team

Question
Dear Tom,
My son dives for the Montgomery Dive Club on the National Team in Bethesda, Maryland, just outside of Washington, DC. We will most likely be relocations to Tampa next year, so we need to find Harry a new dive team. Doug Beavers and Wes Mattice, who have been coaching him the last two years since he was asked to join the team. I would love for Harry to continue his dream of diving someday in college (he is currently in 8th grade). I'm not familiar with any of the dive clubs down there, so any information would be helpful, and he would, of course, be willing to come down for a try-out. We hope to be relocating to the South Tampa area. Thanks for any advice in advance. Best, Amy

Answer
Amy -

The area you will be moving to has 3 teams that I found. The closest one is probably in Brandon. It's called Team Colwill Diving and is run by Chris Colwill a member of the 2012 USA Olympic Diving Team. The other two clubs are on the other side of the Bay in Largo and St. Pete.

You can find their contact info by going to usadiving.org, click on Join USA Diving (no fee involved) then click on Find A Club. Enter FLA and a list of teams will come up. The 3 in the Tampa area are the above mentioned plus St. Pete Diving (Bill Walker) and West Florida Lighting Aquatics (Coach Tony).

I am sure that your son will like one of these programs and Doug knows all 3 coaches so I am sure he will suggest the best program for him. Good luck in your search.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp