Springboard and Platform Diving/Diving

Hi Tom, I have never dived before a few weeks ago, but I just joined  my high school dive team.  This is the first year that we have a diving team, and I am the only guy on the team.  So far I have really enjoyed it, recently learning 101c and 102c.  However, I am 6'2" and 160 lb.  So, my question is: How will my hight affect my ability to dive?  Is being tall and advantage or disadvantage?  Both?

Daniel -

Sorry it took so long for me to answer your question. I was away judging the Big 10 Conference Diving Championships.

In diving, the taller you are the more difficult it is to do the harder optional dives. The advantage is that if you do dives mechanically correct, have straight legs and pointed toes on entry, your dive will look better than someone shorter than you.

Because of your height, you need to spend time doing the more fundamental skills correctly (called required or voluntary dives)rather than doing the harder somersaulting and twisting dives, known as optionals. If you move on to the harder dives without first perfecting the easy ones, taller divers will have a harder time scoring good judges scores in meets.

The other thing you need to spend time on is your flexibility and abdominal strength. If you not have those physical components as part of your daily workout, diving will be difficult for anyone regardless of their height and weight.

Good luck with your season.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year