Springboard and Platform Diving/Back and reverse dives

I am wondering if I need to look at my hands after I tuck in a 301C or 201C. When I extend and elongate my body, do I have to look at my hands and the water? I feel like it is not needed and I might do better not looking at my hands after I tuck, because I would not arch when I look at my hands. Should I look at my hands or not?

Hi Bailey -

I think the best way for me to answer this is to describe a drill I have had my divers do to practice the correct come out of the two dives you mention. All you need is a soft tumbling mat to sit on. Sit in the tuck position with your hands on each shin. Make sure you are in closed and tight tuck position. The correct come out sequence is to first kick you feet out so you are now completely extended on your back. Your feet should stay off the floor, your arms should be on the top of your thighs and you should be looking at your feet with you body in a "hollow" shape (not arched). The next movement is to look back completely without moving your legs or hands. The final movement is to grab your hands like you do for head first entries, bend your elbows and reach all the way over head while you are still looking back. At this point you will see your hands but when you do the dive over the water, you will only see your hands for a brief moment as after you reach, your hands will hit the water opening a hole for the rest of your body to go through.

So to answer your questions, yes you should look at the water after kicking out and then yes, you will see your hands going towards the water but only briefly. The key to not arching is to have a tight stomach so your back is flat. Again, this is the "hollow" body shape I described above. If you do a lot of core body exercises and develop "abs of steel", you can look back at the water and not arch your back.

Good luck. Hope all this helps.

Springboard and Platform Diving

Tom Trapp

I can answer any questions pertaining to all levels of springboard and platform diving including : beginner lessons, intermediate, advanced, high school, Junior Olympic, AAU, Masters (Adult), Collegiate and Senior diving. Questions about training, technique, competitions, dryland training including trampoline and dry board.I can answer questions about how to judge/referee diving events.Also questions about how run, direct and administrate all different types of diving meets from novice events through Olympic Trials.I am also available as a consultant and expert witness for legal cases involving diving. I cannot answer questions about swimming (how to dive off a starting block) or SCUBA diving.

3 time U.S. Diving National Team Coach. Coached World, International and National Junior Olympic individual and team champions. Collegiate level experience (Junior College and Division I).Chairman, U. S. Diving Region 10 and Northern California Diving Associations. Professional diving referee, judge and meet director including U.S. Diving Junior and Senior Nationals, National Qualifying events and Division I collegiate events including the 2010 Men's NCAA Division I Diving Championships. Head Referee for the Big 12 and ACC Conference Diving Championships.Competition Director for past NCAA Men's Division I Nationals and numerous Pac 10 Conference Championships.In 2010, attended the FINA Junior Olympic World Diving Championships to take the International Judging Certification Class which was successfull completed.

U.S. Diving. AAU Diving. Professional Diving Coaches Association. FINA.

B.S. in Recreation and California Teaching Credential in Physical Education/Aquatics. U.S. Diving Safety Certified Coach.

U.S. Diving National Award of Excellence. Northern California Diving Association Coach of the Year. U.S. Diving Region 10 Coach of the Year